wonderful snowy scenery

I live where I do because I have a deep connection with the natural landscape and being in beautiful places is very important to me. I never take the scenery for granted and in fact when you live in a hilly place everyday the light changes the view and highlights things you have never noticed before.

Yesterdy was even more special, this was the view out of the front door early morning.

Icicles on the woodshed.

The road up towards the workshop.

I cut some plate blanks, climbers coming down off the hill with crampons and ice axes gave me some funny looks.

Then turned a really nice set of plates.

Before heading home. To me this is priceless.

6 Responses to wonderful snowy scenery

1. Dalesgirl February 11, 2009 at 9:08 pm #

What a wonderful day.

2. Bodger February 12, 2009 at 7:27 am #

I too am treated like an outcast when wearing an orange helmet and holding a ch**nsaw. Some people don’t even return a friendly greeting!I’m only maintaining the woods in the condition that they love but life’s too short to explain that to everyone.I feel a sign coming up.

3. Robin Wood February 12, 2009 at 8:14 am #

I have never felt any antagonism to my cutting wood there with a chainsaw. Sometimes surprise. I think folk just accept it as rural industry just like coming across a tractor. Thing is they have probably just come many miles across open fell and my workshop is the first habitation they come to, and still pretty out of the way. I chat with folk there every day as they pass and have met some really nice people.

4. Daniel Carpenter February 12, 2009 at 1:37 pm #

Looks like a perfect day to me! Makes me wish I didn’t have to spend so much of my time in an office! :-( Hope you got my email the other day Robin…?

5. Robin Wood February 12, 2009 at 1:44 pm #

Hi Daniel,I did and I was in the office typing a reply as your blog message popped up, its on its way now. Its surprising how much time we craftsfolk have to spend in the office, packing parcels, doing paperwork but then in many ways the mix of mind and body work is good.

6. Jonas February 12, 2009 at 6:51 pm #

I live in northern Sweden and take deep snow for granted but I will try to appreciate it some more! Amazing plates man I just gotta make me an lathe.