Doug Fitch potter

I love nice pots, especially ones that you can use everyday in the kitchen. Yesterday we visited “Fire and Earth” an annual event at Rufford Abbey
There were lots of nice pots to see and potters to chat with including a blogging friend Doug Fitch. I don’t have time to follow many other craftspeoples blogs but Doug’s is always interesting.

He works in Devon making good wholesome slipware pots. Here is his blog. and some of his lovely pots.

Another of my favourite potters Svend Bayer was also there with some simply gorgeous pots. I don’t covert many things but I would love one of his huge garden pots. There is one in permanent residence in the courtyard at Rufford and I was rather surprised to see it seems to be used as a litter bin. That’s an expensive litter bin. More of Svend’s pots here. I have a lot of photos that I took when we visited him at home a couple of years ago, if folk wanted to see them I could put them up in a blog post.

6 Responses to Doug Fitch potter

1. Nicola June 29, 2009 at 12:35 pm #

Some folks have no respect – can't believe that gorgeous pot has litter in it!

2. Stewart June 29, 2009 at 8:48 pm #

I've dabbled in both woodturning and pottery. I always found them an interesting contrast because of how opposite they are in how they produce the finished form.

3. Bodger June 30, 2009 at 6:30 pm #

How about turning a lid for it with a slot for donations to a worthy craft cause?Take your litter home with you! For Goodness sakes.

4. sammm June 30, 2009 at 11:02 pm #

Hi Robin, I really enjoy your posts about traditional skills and woodworking. on that note i am a pottery student and would LOVE to see any photos you have of Svend's work and studio. He was an original inspiration of mine and his work is so hard to see online (I live in Korea). If yo every have the time… I also enjoyed your Doug Fitch posts. I have enjoyed his blog for awhile. He is such a good potter. Thanks for your blog and your work to preserve traditional skills. Andy

5. doug Fitch July 1, 2009 at 8:41 am #

Was lovely to see you both at the weekend. I've just pinched your pics for my blog. I have one of those big Svend pots at home and it is the perfect vessel for filling with all manner of things, so I can understand people's urge to put litter within its bulbous form. Hope to see you again soon

6. miss rika July 4, 2009 at 8:54 pm #

Thanks! And please post the pics. I think Bodger is onto something.