sad personal news

I don’t normally blog about personal stuff being quite a private person but feel the need to pass on some sad personal news to my regular blog readers.

There is no easy way of saying this, after 20 years together and 19 years of marriage in October Nicola decided to leave me. We have had relationship issues for several years with 2 sessions of counseling at Relate. I have the utmost respect and love for Nicola and had hoped to work through our problems and spend the rest of our lives together but it seems that it is not to be.

We are still good friends and are working to keep as stable a family life as we can for our children. Closer friends have known this news for a while but particularly over the Christmas period we have been getting lots of messages addressed to Robin, Nicola and family and folk looking forward to meeting us both on courses this year hence the need to put the sad news out more publicly.

It has been a difficult time for everyone but we managed a happy family Christmas together and look forward to happier times in 2011.

23 Responses to sad personal news

1. Brian December 26, 2010 at 6:06 pm #

Hey Robin sorry to hear your sad news. There's never a good time to split .Take care mate :)

2. Robin Wood December 26, 2010 at 11:09 pm #

Thanks Brian. In many ways I feel to have failed on the biggest and most important task in life keeping ones family together and happy. We carry on working to make things as good as they can be in the circumstances. Time in the workshop doing hard physical work is good therapy.

3. Janice in GA December 27, 2010 at 12:05 am #

It's always sad when a family breaks up. Best wishes for both of you in the future.

4. Le printemps ├ža s'invente December 27, 2010 at 5:23 am #

Sad for you and yours. But life continues and children will grow with two parents … and, two houses !

5. flyingshavings December 27, 2010 at 6:45 am #

Very sad to hear that Robin, I sincerely hope things turn out well for all concerned.

6. Joel December 27, 2010 at 7:14 am #

Sad to hear your news, Robin. It is an upheaval for sure. I don't know how old your children are, but kids are resilient and will come to term with this in their own time and ways. All the best.Joel

7. nrbbuilding December 27, 2010 at 9:27 am #

Robin my heart goes out to you, went through the same thing myself a couple of years ago and it all gets better with time, in fact it helped to develop my relationship with my daughter, best wishes for 2011 and sorry to hear the bad newsNellybelly

8. The Village Carpenter December 27, 2010 at 3:46 pm #

Robin, I am so sorry to hear this. It's a very painful and heartbreaking thing to go through. Love and hugs. Kari

9. Jude December 27, 2010 at 4:46 pm #

So sorry Robin…hang in there and stay friends if you can, it will help your children come to terms with the situation..having been there I know how upsetting it is…and the feeling of failure.You will come through, take careJude

10. Representative December 27, 2010 at 8:16 pm #

I'm very sorry to know you are going through this. My family and I will be praying for you.

11. T.L. Cooper December 27, 2010 at 10:16 pm #

I'm sorry to hear this Robin. I will be praying for healing for you guys.

12. Rich Dyson December 27, 2010 at 11:32 pm #

Sorry to hear your sad news but hopeful that things will work out OK for you all.

13. Tico Vogt December 28, 2010 at 1:29 am #

With appreciation for all you two have accomplished, and will continue to.Best,Tico Vogt

14. Tico Vogt December 28, 2010 at 1:30 am #

15. Shani December 28, 2010 at 3:24 pm #

Sad news, but wish you all the best. Sometimes accepting the inevitable and preserving friendship is the best way forward…Best wishes Shani

16. Bobbie December 28, 2010 at 3:30 pm #

Dear RobinI'm very sorry to hear your news. I have very happy memories from my spoon-carving days in June and it was a pleasure learning from you and meeting you and your family. I hope you can work things out. With very best wishes to all of you for 2011.

17. Sean Hellman December 28, 2010 at 6:07 pm #

It is never easy in circumstances like these, and I wish you all the best in dealing with your new and changed lives.

18. Robin Wood December 29, 2010 at 9:32 am #

Robin Wood said… Thanks for all the helpful and kind comments and emails folk have sent. It is good to hear from folk that have personal experience of similar situations and have managed to rebuild happy stable situations for their family. We seem to be doing pretty well really. Family has always been my first priority and part of my choice of lifestyle. Many fathers working long hours see little of their children I feel fortunate to have shared caring for our children equally. Nicola and I have always worked well together on all sorts of projects and continue to do so. I am confident that we can make 2011 a good year for us all.

19. Kepis December 29, 2010 at 6:57 pm #

Sorry to hear your news Robin, it's never an easy thing to go through, for either party.My best wishes to you both for whom i have the utmost respect.Take careAll the bestMark

20. Shannon December 30, 2010 at 2:10 pm #

Wow Robin, this is heartbreaking to hear. I'm so sorry and I wish both of your the best. My brother went through this and he will say that it was for the best now. Staying friends was huge for his kids and now everyone seems much happier. I only hope it will work the same for you. God bless.

21. Steve Kubien December 31, 2010 at 1:54 am #

One of the girls on my daughters soccer team comes from a "broken" home. Prior to the parents divorce, the home was truly broken. Now, the parents are friends, sharing custody and are both very involved with their little girl. It may not seem like it at the present, but these things can be for the better.Be well.

22. Brad January 4, 2011 at 7:54 pm #

Very hard news to hear, Robin. I have survived it (that's what it feels like at times). Please hear from me again that life, love, and family continue on throughout. I will be keeping you and yours in my prayers.

23. miss rika March 6, 2012 at 5:35 pm #

Just catching up on your writing after only sporadic reading and found this. I'm so sorry. My heart goes out to you and to her and your children. I continue to pray for you all, and my best hopes go with you.