wooden floors without the straight lines

How about this. Floorboards without the straight lines. I love it.

These are made in Finland using computer CAD/CAM by Bolewood

Modern life is so full of straight lines a wavy line brings a bit of nature into the home. This is the high tech way of doing it, I do it with a saw and by eye in the way threshing floors have been made for centuries. Great to see it coming to the mass market, I bet they will sell well, those clever Finns.

I first saw floors like this in the home of the fabulous American woodworker/sculptor Wharton Eshrick, if you don’t know him I recommend the website. There is a good description of how threshing floors used to be made in Walter Rose’s book “The Village Carpenter”.

6 Responses to wooden floors without the straight lines

1. Murphyfish March 15, 2011 at 1:46 pm #

Really nice flooring, and yes we do seem to be ruled by the straight line.Regards,John

2. Brian March 15, 2011 at 8:28 pm #

Beautiful floor with all the odd shapes. you could use up a lot of twisted mishapen logs and big flared butts .That would be a pain for the sawmiller and turn them into something with a bit more value. Brian

3. Gorges Smythe March 16, 2011 at 2:06 am #

WOW! And there's a lot more crooked trees than straight ones!

4. 710e0498-afd4-11e0-9260-000bcdcb5194 July 16, 2011 at 9:15 pm #

Wow! I love this wood flooring. You are right; there are so many straight lines in modern life. I have never seen anything like this before. I may give it a try in one of my rooms one day. I am wondering how the product is positioned price-wise but I am sure those nature-fanatics will go for this wood floor. I tried searching for something similar at Real Oak Floors. They have a lovely Massif collection, but these wood floors come with straight boards. Thanks for these pics.

5. tifany underson March 15, 2012 at 9:38 am #

I’ll propose you to laminate the flooring or use hardwood. You’ll find out the difference. flooring temecula

6. Darrel Saul March 2, 2013 at 2:44 pm #

These curvy lines are looking great, custom hardwood floors are very much in demand nowadays.