gorgeous Swedish wooden spoons and a special opportunity

I thought I would share some inspirational pictures of wooden spoons. These are my favourites from the kitchens at the Swedish national folk craft school Saterglantan.

This one (above and below) is by Wille Sundqvist

After picking out my favourites to photograph I found they nearly all had the same makers mark, at a glance it looks like a fish but on closer inspection it is FR and the maker is Fritiof Runhal.

I have admired Fritiof’s work for many years, it seems to combine the best of tradition with modern design whilst using the strength of the wood to best effect. I bought on of his spoons at the Saterglantan shop and use it regularly at home. I am delighted that now Fitiof has agreed to come to the UK to teach a spooncarving course in Edale. If you would like to join me in learning from Fritiof then the date of the course will be September 27, 28, 29. All tools and materials will be provided as well as the usual bread and soup lunches and tea and buscuits. This is Fritiof.

And a couple more examples of recent work.

The course cost will be £245 just a little more than my usual spoon courses to help cover travel costs but for three days with such a talented teacher I hope it will be very good value. Just 8 places available so email asap to confirm a place.

6 Responses to gorgeous Swedish wooden spoons and a special opportunity

1. Dave Alviti April 19, 2011 at 8:29 pm #

gorgeous spoons, I love this style, they always seem to have a real warmth to them. sadly its not a style i'm very good at! getting slowly better at more conventional styles, always more to learn though!

2. T.L. Cooper April 20, 2011 at 3:31 am #

Thanks for sharing! Wille's work is aways inspiring. Have to say Fritiof's stuff is pretty amazing! First time I've heard of him hope it won't be the last.

3. Robin Wood April 21, 2011 at 6:19 am #

24 hours and half the places are gone. TL when going through all the spoons at Saterglantan Wille's are instantly recognisable but if anything I preferred Fritiof's. I love his clean modern designs like the servers in the bottom image particularly.

4. woodnstuff April 21, 2011 at 10:41 pm #

Hi Rob, I'll make one in if its not fully subscribed . I'll email when I'm able, cheers John

5. Robin Wood April 24, 2011 at 7:48 am #

Have saved you a place John, only 2 left now.

6. Kathryn McMahon May 23, 2011 at 8:54 pm #

I appreciated your comments on May 22, 2011. I was originally attracted by the picture of a weaver on an old loom in his cottage.I am a weaver using Early American looms, practicing the weaving of period cloth, and fully understand the idea the Luddites were trying to express. Good article.KathrynEarly American Textile Toolswww.freewebs.com/earlyamericantextiletoolsCentral New York