from 1 small cherry log get 7 cherry spoons

This is my current evening entertainment, and my current favourite eating spoon design.

I roughed these out from the green cherry log last night, let them dry then finished them off tonight. They are based on an old one I saw in a museum in Galicia though I keep changing them slightly. This batch I have experimented with a slightly different handle ending, angled rather than rounded. I have been using the first one of these I carved for my breakfast every day for 18 months now and really like the design.

Most of my eating spoons are this design but made from sycamore, if you’d like one of the cherry ones they will be oiled and finished in a few days and are £25 plus P&P once you start eating with a wooden spoon you never want to put a piece of cold metal in your mouth again.

9 Responses to from 1 small cherry log get 7 cherry spoons

1. matthew July 11, 2011 at 9:15 pm #

Robin, I really like this. I was wandering about the orientation of the finished spoon to the original piece of wood. Did you split into wedge shapes to carve the spoon from? M.

2. Robin Wood July 11, 2011 at 9:21 pm #

Glad you like them Mathew. It is a design that works well out of straight grained wood which means I can make them at a price that people can afford. I do split into wedges so the handles show the medulary rays.

3. Follansbee July 11, 2011 at 10:12 pm #

Hey Robinnice spoons; I remember them when you first posted that form. But seven? What happened? I expected an even number?

4. Robin Wood July 11, 2011 at 10:52 pm #

Pith was off centre so more than 1/4 of log gave sections too narrow and an odd one had difficult twisty grain. The other log looks good and if it converted perfectly it would give 12. I split into 1/4 first then each 1/4 if good can go into 3. The first billet off starts a little wider than 1/3 and the split runs out to a little less than 1/3 giving a nice tapered billet. The remaining 2/3 goes in half giving another 2 tapered billets. Thin end is handle fat end bowl.

5. Gorges Smythe July 11, 2011 at 11:19 pm #

I guess I've been missing something. I've NEVER eaten from a wooden spoon OR a wooden bowl!

6. jarrod July 12, 2011 at 3:02 am #

Nice spoons RobinI like vertical grain wood for spoons.

7. Bill Dieckman July 12, 2011 at 3:04 am #

This comment has been removed by the author.

8. Bill Dieckman July 12, 2011 at 1:20 pm #

I just wanted to say thank you for posting this beautiful form again. Since getting the odd urge to carve spoons last winter, I have greatly enjoyed reading about the work you and your wife do to promote the skills of yore.I hope to branch into green wood after our next big storm drops a branch from our pecan tree.

9. nitrousair April 18, 2012 at 6:23 pm #

Robin, how do you treat your spoons? do you just dip them into some linseed oil and let it soak?