black and white

These Bowls and plates are commissioned for a new shop in Mayfair called The New Craftsmen. I am really pleased with the way they have turned out, bowls in sycamore some flame blackened, plates in beech.

The blackened bowls are something I used to do quite often 10 years or so ago but have not done recently. I still have some of those old bowls in use in my kitchen and I really like them, they look great with cherry tomatoes in and the surface has a lovely silky texture.

Over the years I have not always been good at ensuring I mark all my work but I realise now that it is crucial  so ever bowl and every spoon gets my logo, a simple carved W made with three strokes of the tool.

8 Responses to black and white

1. Sarah B June 1, 2013 at 2:44 pm #

I bought a bowl off you at Lower Brockhampton, two years ago, and discovered it is not marked :-( it is beautiful, but I do wish it had your mark on it.

2. Robin Wood June 1, 2013 at 2:51 pm #

Very happy to sign it for you Sarah, either next time we meet up or by return post.Robin

3. Compostwoman June 1, 2013 at 3:06 pm #

Thank you so much Robin :-) That is very kind of you :-) I will post it to you, and may well buy something else as well :-)

4. jarrod June 1, 2013 at 4:25 pm #

Those blackened bowls looks great! More importantly beautiful shapes.

5. nathan wolfenbarger June 1, 2013 at 10:36 pm #

Those Blackened Bowls are just lovely Robin. I like your mark as well; simple, but very striking.-nw

6. frischesholz June 2, 2013 at 4:11 pm #

This could be the start of a renewed trend ;) I especially like the black ones with the white peaking through.Frederik

7. yeah, the blackened bowls are something i've never seen. very nice looking. is that a trade secret or can you tell us how you do that ? does it work with sycamore too or just beech? and like just torch it? and then how to keep it from smelling and acting like coal or charcoal? thanks and sorry if my questions are intrusive, daniel

8. chrisvanaar June 3, 2013 at 8:58 pm #

As always great work and a nice blog.For some time I'm looking for a way to blacken my turning. Would you tell us how you do this?