China a craftsman’s view

I was delighted to be asked to represent the UK at the International FolkCrafts expo in Gizhou province China. This was a celebration of global folk culture on a scale that is simply not imaginable in Europe. It was organised by the Chinese Ministry of Culture and The International Organisation of Folk Art IOV a very inspirational organisation. Such a contrast from the UK where our own minister of Culture has refused to even talk to anyone representing UK traditional crafts.
IMG_7923

When we arrived at the exhibition venue I was blown away, it is a huge new built venue about the size of the whole of the NEC at Birmingham and 4 huge halls were given over to the folk crafts expo. This is our international crew arriving, there were folk representing many European countries, South and North America, Africa and Asia.

IMG_7913

This is my stand, I could not take a lathe so I took some finished bowls, an ipad with video of the workshop and lathe turning and some tools to carve spoons. I managed to find a small birch locally to work with, watch out for these “made in China” spoons on the website soon.

IMG_7985

 

Two things have surprised me more than any others about this trip. The first was the number of vitriolic comments on facebook about the Chinese, warning me that they would steal my designs and mass produce them (these all from folk who had not been to China and presumably were not aware of our own cultures appropriation of Chinese technology over the years) The second thing that I was not prepared for was that if you are over 5 foot 5″ and have blond hair and blue eyes you are a very very unusual creature indeed. On an average day I would have maybe 200 folk ask to have their photo taken with me as if I was some kind of rock star, very bizarre. These girls are wearing traditional dress of the Miao minority people.

IMG_7976

China is 91% Han Chinese, the remaining 9% are from 56 distinct minority cultures and Gizhou province is home to 46 of those, all have their own traditional dress and customs which were richly celebrated at the Expo. Here are a few more examples of traditional dressIMG_7928

IMG_7975 IMG_7966 IMG_7953

I loved this girls outfit and wondered how heavy these huge dramatic silver adorned hats were.

IMG_7980She let me try it on and it was really very light indeed.

IMG_7939

 

In the next hall to us there were lots of working craftspeople from silversmiths to weavers to basketmakers and folk making costume, this lady is doing batik

IMG_7952And this adorable child was remarkably  adept at the embroidery used on their traditional costume.

IMG_7961

 

And I guess this is what it was all about, there were very good visitor numbers with the halls packed for three days but every now and then a local big wig politician would come round with ensuing media scrum. If I remember rightly this one is the governor of Gizhou province visiting the lovely Dutch folk making pewter work on the next stand.

IMG_7982One day perhaps we will have a huge show in London with the best of the UKs traditional crafts and culture celebrated alongside the best from the rest of the world with the culture minister and TV scrum. We are a long way off that just now though. Next posts will show China street life and a visit to a rural Miao village.

 

 

 

You may also like to read:

4 Responses to China a craftsman’s view

  1. Jarrod November 26, 2013 at 5:55 pm #

    thanks for the great info and photos.

  2. Tim November 27, 2013 at 8:45 pm #

    What a great opportunity!

  3. Ingrid van Delden December 4, 2013 at 2:46 pm #

    Great!

  4. Irene Tukuafu January 14, 2014 at 2:40 pm #

    I have sooooooooooo loved reading everything about your blog. and the photos of the Chinese people and your short stay there. Someday I want to go there as well. I lived in Hawaii for 30 years and loved all kinds of folks there. I’m making spoons and spatulas and sometime I’ll send you a photo of what I do. Mostly I make harps and other musical instruments….but for the “bread and butter” little things, I’m going into kitchen stuffs made of wood.

    THANK YOU SO MUCH for posting the marvelous photos of your spoons. HOW INSPIRING.

    aloha, irene

Leave a Reply

Powered by Wordpress and Woocommerce and tweaked by Tom Broughton 2013