Just a man

Just found this and love it

What is he?
-A man, of course.
Yes, but what does he do?
-He lives and is a man.

Oh quite! But he must work.  He must have a job of some sort
-Why?
Because obviously he’s not one of the leisured classes.
-I don’t know.  He has lots of leisure.  And he makes quite beautiful chairs.

There you are then!  He’s a cabinet maker.
-No, no
Anyhow a carpenter and a joiner.
-Not at all.

But you said so
-What did I say?
That he made chairs and was a joiner and carpenter
-I said he made chairs, but I did not say he was a carpenter.

All right then he is just an amateur?
-Perhaps! would you say a thrush was a professional flautist, or just an amateur?

I’d say it was just a bird
-And I say he is just a man.

DH Lawrence

image1

8 Responses to Just a man

1. Rob Duckmanton December 12, 2013 at 4:24 pm #

Fantastic. I’m writing that on my shed wall. Is that Jojos ladder back from mikes? Looks a beauty.

2. Steve Kubien December 13, 2013 at 12:13 am #

This is perfect.

3. p follansbee December 17, 2013 at 12:07 pm #

Robin – I first read this in Bill Coperthwaite’s book A Handmade Life. Sadly, Bill died in a car accident last month on icy roads in Maine. Jogge & I were writing back & forth about him, and Jogge asked “what shall we refer to him as in the film about Wille?” – and I thought well, he builds yurts, he makes nice spoons, etc; but in the end, he’s ‘just a man! of course…

• Patrick Lanman January 12, 2014 at 7:44 pm #

Peter your post after Bills death was excellent never got around to comment on it…but it turned me on to his book and I’m waiting for a copy right now..

4. David Fisher December 17, 2013 at 2:43 pm #

Beautiful. Thanks for sharing that, Robin.

5. Old Paddy December 29, 2013 at 7:01 pm #

Thanks for this post! Makes me think of the sentiment that “simple” is not a negative term rather the height of understanding. thanks for all you do!

6. The Lilac Dragonfly January 1, 2014 at 6:18 pm #

I am just a woman, wanting to just live life, and I was talking about this very thing with a friend an hour or so ago! Why is there all this pressure and cultural expectation to have a “career”?
    I found this website because I am making a shelving unit and my son wanted me to oil the wood this time, instead of varnishing it as I usually do. I was trying to find out what kind of oil is best for finishing wood. When I saw the above, I immediately sent it to the friend I was just talking to. She will understand . . .

7. Patrick Lanman January 12, 2014 at 7:40 pm #

Been trying to convey that same sentiment for a long time now….nice to here it so eloquently put…cheers..